[:en]1_Aqua Pal Boathouse[:ja]1_アクアパル[:]


1. Aqua Pal Boathouse

location:  Kitauraji, Yurihonjo City – 10 minutes from Ugo Honjo railway station by car

Yurihonjo has a long history of success in rowing competitions, right up to national championship level, and the Aqua Pal boathouse (capacity 70 boats) is the focal point for school and resident boat crews.  It is the only boathouse of this size in the Tohoku region.
Inside Aqua Pal, there is a municipal museum dedicated to the nature and history of the Koyoshi river, which flows directly in front of the boathouse.
Many residents also make use of the multi-purpose hall or fitness gym.
Many local events take place at Aqua Pal, such as the citizen’s rowing regatta and the summer festival of Koyoshi river.
A visit to the firework festival, which is held here in summer, is also very worthwhile.

keywords:  sport, rowing
features:  must-see for rowing enthusiasts, fitness gym, open rowing regatta, firework festival

written by M. Fujii & T. Ozono




名称 ボートプラザアクアパル

種別 スポーツ ボート

場所 由利本荘市北裏地

イメージ ボート関係者必見、フィットネスジム、市民ボート大会 花火大会







[:en]2_Children’s Science Museum[:ja]2_フェライト子ども科学館[:]


2. Ferrite Kodomo Kagakukan  (Children’s Science Museum)

location:  Hirasawa, Nikaho City – 5 minutes from Nikaho IC (Nihonkai-Tohoku Expressway) by car

Ferrite Kodomo Kagakukan (Children’s Science Museum) is run by Nikaho City with many interactive displays for children to enjoy learning about the world of science.
On the second floor is a memorial hall which introduces the achievements of Kenzo Saito and Teiichi Yamazaki, who pioneered the use of Ferrite and who subsequently founded and developed TDK.
The museum also has a big play area for younger children and attracts families with children of all ages.
After leaving the children’s museum, why not also take in the nearby TDK Museum called “TDK Future History Museum”?  It is located 1 kilometer from the Ferrite Museum and was re-opened in October 2016 after renovation.
The museum’s exhibits invite the visitor to imagine and experience life in 20 years time.  This museum is more suitable for adults, but together these 2 museums offer families a rewarding time together.

keywords: science museum, experiment, science interaction
features:  family entertainment, future of science, notable local people (founder of TDK)

written by S. Ishikawa




名称 フェライト子ども科学館 (ふぇらいとこどもかがくかん)

種別 科学館 実験 科学体験

場所 にかほ市平沢
日本海東北道 仁賀保ICから5分

イメージ 家族で楽しむ、未来科学、郷土の偉人(TDK創立者)

フェライト子ども科学館(ふぇらいとこどもかがくかん The Children’s Ferrite and Science Museum)は、にかほ市立の科学館ですで。郷土の偉人であり、世界で最初にフェライトを工業化し、そしてTDKの創立・発展に尽力した齋藤憲三、山崎貞一の業績を紹介するメモリアルホールがあります。
少し足を延ばせば、平成28年10月にリニューアルオープンした、TDK Museum「TDK歴史みらい館」で20年後の暮らしを体感できます。子供たちと遊んだあとは、大人も楽しめるこちらも覗いてみたい。




[:en]3_Morning Market[:ja]3_朝市[:]


3. Morning Market

location: Hanabata-machi, Yurihonjo – 2 minutes walk from Ugohonjo railway station

The market is located in front of Ugohonjo railway station and opens before dawn at3o’clock in the morning.  This makes it the earliest market in Japan.
Its history dates back to the 1950’s, when farmers gathered here in order to sell their produce on the roadside directly to customers.
Now there are about 40 stalls which sell a range of produce at reasonable prices: fresh vegetables, fruit, mountain vegetables, fresh cut flowers.  There is also fresh fish from the nearby port.
These stalls close at 7:00 in the morning.  The market attracts many local people and is a good place to see local produce in a nostalgic setting.

keywords: traditions, commerce
features: hustle & bustle, reasonable prices and fresh, nostalgia, agricultural produce, seafood

written by H. Kaneko & K. Fujishima



名称  朝市

種別  風習、商業

場所  由利本荘市花畑町 羽後本荘駅から徒歩2分

イメージ  活気 新鮮で適正価格 なつかしい 農産物、海産物




[:en]04_Honjo Marina and Pleasure Beach[:ja]4_本荘マリーナ海水浴場[:]


4. Honjo Marina and Pleasure Beach

location:  Ishiwaki, Yurihonjo City – 15 minutes from Ugo Honjo railway station by car

This bathing beach has one of the widest sandy beaches, as well one of the biggest anti-flooding reservoirs, in Akita.  It was also selected as one of the 88 finest bathing beaches in Japan.
The adjacent free car park has a capacity for 1200 cars, along with showers, changing rooms and toilets.
The seawater here is warmer than on the opposite Pacific Ocean coast.  As a result, the summer months attract many young people and families to the beach from near and far.
Within A 2-minute drive from the bathing beach are other leisure facilities, including a camping site and a marina for large and small yachts.
With Mount Chokai and its surroundings as a backdrop, this spot is also a great place to view the sunset over the Japan Sea.
please come and visit this beach.

keywords:  sightseeing, sea bathing
features:  hot sandy beach and cold soda pop, warm sea water, sunset on the Japan Sea, view of the sea and Mount Chokai together

written by T. Miyazaki



名称 本荘マリーナ海水浴場


種別 観光 海水浴

場所 由利本荘市石脇


イメージ  暑い砂浜と冷たいサイダー、温かい海、日本海の夕陽、海と鳥海山の存在






[:en]05_Yuri Kogen Railway[:ja]5_由利高原鉄道[:]


5. Yuri Kogen Railway  (Chokai Sanroku Railway Line)

location:  Yurihonjo  (Honjo to Yashima)

The Yuri Kogen Railway (also called the Chokai Mountain Plateau Line) is a private line which runs 23 km from Ugo-honjo Station to Yashima Station.  There are a total of 12 stations along this 40-minute route, which takes in Mt. Chokai in the south and the Japan Sea in the west.
The railway was taken over from JNR (Japanese National Railways) after privatalization, when it was known as the Yashima line.  Initially there were plans to extend the railway to the nearby city of Yokote and also to other areas of Honjo.  However, it opened under the current route.
The company offers many kinds of interesting experiences and services to passengers, for example there are regular party trains, a railway tour of the Yuri area, a specialist in-train guide service.
You can even charter the train for your own special event.
Above all, passengers can enjoy the splendid scenes of each season from the train window.

keywords: transportation; railway
features: rental carriage (party train), event train, rice fields, Mount Chokai

written by I. Fukuda




名称 由利高原鉄道 鳥海山ろく線

種別 交通 列車

場所 由利本荘市から矢島町

イメージ レンタル車両(宴会列車)、イベント列車、田んぼ、鳥海山








[:en]6_Shirase Antarctic Expedition Memorial Museum[:ja]6_白瀬南極探検隊記念館[:]


6. Shirase Antarctic Expedition Memorial Museum

location:  Konoura, Nikaho city – 5 minutes from Nihonkai-Tohoku Expressway Konoura IC by car

The Shirase Antarctic Expedition Memorial Museum is a public science museum and memorial which is located in Nikaho city.  It opened in 1990 to commemorate the achievement of  Army Lieutenant Nobu Shirase, who led the first Japanese Antarctic Expedition in 1910.
Nobu Shirase devoted himself from a young age to his ambition of becoming an explorer.  Inside the museum there are graphic details of Nobu Shirase’s life as well as the crew of 30 men who shared Nobu’s spirit of adventure and participated on his epic voyage to Antarctica.
The museum also has exhibits about the British explorer Scott, who attempted to reach Antarctica at around the same time as Shirase.  Other displays cover the history of Japanese Antarctic expeditions from Shirase’s time to the present day.
Visitors to the museum can also see a snowmobile used on a later Antarctic expedition to the Showa Antarctic Base, as well as pick up and touch real ice brought back from Antarctica.

keywords:  science, history, expedition
features:  challenge, expedition, Antarctica

written by T. Yoshino


名称 白瀬南極探検隊記念館(しらせなんきょくたんけんたいきねんかん)

種別 科学 歴史 探検

場所 にかほ市金浦


イメージ 挑戦 探検 南極



当地出身で、日本人で初めて南極探検に挑んだ 陸軍中尉 白瀬矗(しらせのぶ)の業績を記念して1990年に旧金浦町に開館されました。





[:en]7_the Great Buddha of Akata[:ja]7_赤田の大仏[:]


7. The Great Buddha of Akata (Chokoku-ji Temple)

location: Akata Yurihonjo – 30 minutes from Honjo railway station by car

Chokoku-ji Temple was founded by Zesantaigaku Bonze in 1775.
The 11 Faces Kannon, better known as the Great Buddha of Akata, was completed in 1786, and the outer building, known as the Hall of the Great Buddha, was completed in 1794.
The precincts of the original temple were completely destroyed in a fire in 1888.  The present-day Kannon was rebuilt in 1892 and the reconstruction of the Hall of the Great Buddha was completed in 1896.
The Kannon is 7.87m high and made from mosaic cedar.  It was painted in lacquer and finished with gold paper.
The Hall of the Great Buddha is 21.2 high with a dual-layer wall.  A window in the upper part of the front of the building shows the face of the Kannon.  There is also a large, round pillar which acts as a support for the whole structure.
On February 11th each year a ceremony called “Daihan Kitoe” takes place here.  Participants pray for wisdom, peace and prosperity.
On August 22nd the annual “Shinbutsu Konkoku” festival is held. This festival incorporates gods from both the shinto and buddhist religions, a characteristic which is rarely found in Japan nowadays.
Please enjoy your visit to this religious site.

keywords:  traditions, religious belief
features:  tranquility,  peace of mind 

written by K. Asada



名称 長谷寺大仏殿 赤田の大仏

種別 信仰 風習

場所 由利本荘市赤田


イメージ 平穏 安心









[:en]8_Oriwatari Sentai Jizo Statues [:ja]8_折渡千体地蔵[:]


8. Oriwatari Sentai Jizo Statues (Oriwatari one thousand Jizo Statues)

location: Yurihonjo – 10 minutes from Iwaya railway station by car

These Jizo statues were founded by Zesanzenshi Bonze (the same man who founded the 11 Faces Kannon) around 200 years ago.  Originally, worshippers came to pray before these statues in the hope of long life.
Nowadays visitors pray in front of them for safety to passers-by and young children.
The Jizo statues originate from Fujian Province in China, and in the years after 1989 thousands of them were gradually brought here by contributors from all over Japan.  The statues were set down in rows covering the whole mountain. It took a long time to complete and this place subsequently became the sacred mountain of Jizo.
These Jizo statues have also acquired another name, as “wart-removing Jizo”.
It is said that someone took one stone from here home and rubbed a wart with it as they prayed in the hope of curing it … and, sure enough, the wart actually dissapeared.
As a result, anyone who takes a stone away and cures their wart with it is supposed to replace it with 2 new stones from the sea.

keywords:  traditions, religious belief
features:  spiritual, silence, remove warts, bell

written by M Sato




名称 折渡千体地蔵(おりわたりせんたいじぞう)

種別 風習 信仰

場所 由利本荘市


イメージ 心霊、静寂、イボトリ 鐘









[:en]9_Yudeno Archaeological Site[:ja]9_湯出野遺跡[:]


9. Yudeno Archaeological Site

location:   Higashiyuri, Yurihonjo – 30 minutes from Ugohonjo railway station by car

The Yudeno ruins are believed to date back about 3000~2500 years to the end of the Jomon Period.
One of the largest Dokoubo (circular grave) in eastern Japan was found here.
People in the Jomon Period dug these circular Dokoubo graves in the ground in order to bury the dead. Excavations at the Yudeno site discovered 103 of these Dokoubo graves together in the same place.
Around the graves they found ancient relics from the time, such as tear-shaped beads, jewels, earrings and clay figures.
Higashi Yuri area is surrounded by the Dewa hills and Mount Yashio.
At that time these rich natural surroundings and also the clean, clear
water brought many farmers to settle in the area. As evidence of this,
45 ruins were discovered on the banks of the river Takase which flows through this area.
The Yudeno ruins are believed to date back about 2500~3000 years to the end of the Jomon Period.

keywords:  history, ruins, archaelogy
features:  Jomon Period community, rich Jomon Period nature, faith

written by K. Sasaki & H. Sato



名称 湯出野遺跡(ゆでのいせき)

種別 歴史 遺跡

場所 由利本荘市東由利


イメージ 縄文人集落 豊かな縄文の自然 信仰








[:en]10_Myoukei-ji Temple[:ja]10_妙慶寺[:]


10. Myoukei-ji Temple

location:  Yurihonjo Kameda – 10 minutes from Kameda railway station by car.

Myoukei-ji temple was founded in Kameda by Lady Oden (Oden-no-kata) in 1629 to pray for enlightenment and for the revival of her family.
Lady Oden, whose first name was Nao, was born in 1604 .  She is primarily known as the daughter of the Sengoku military commander, Yukimura Sanada, whose life was made into a popular NHK TV drama.
She supported her father, Yukimura, when he fought against Ieyasu Tokugawa during the Siege of Osaka in 1614.  The following year, after her father’s defeat, she was transferred and kept captive at O-oku (the inner halls of Edo Castle) in Edo and then later she went to live with her mother in Kyoto.
Here, Nao caught the attention of Yoshinobu Satake, who was Lord of the Kubota (Akita) Domain at this time.  She was subsequently taken to Akita and became the wife of Yoshinobu’s brother, Nobuie.
Nobuie was later appointed the feudal lord of the Kameda Domain and so Nao moved again, this time to Kameda. Their first son also became the feudal lord of Kameda.
Nao was supposed to inherit the title “Lady Sanada”, after her father, but she decided against this due to the political situation at this time.  Instead, she dropped the first character of his name (“Sana”) and took just the second character (“da”) with an alternative pronunciation, “Lady Oden”.
The family’s Japanese halberd, which is on display in the temple today, was loved and used by Lady Oden.
At the temple you can learn about the life and destiny of the daughter of a military commander in the Sengoku Period, a time of turbulence and war in Japanese history.

keywords: history,  Sanada family
features: Yukimura Sanada, daughter of famous samurai during Sengoku Period 15th/16th century, national treasure, Oden’s Japanese halberd

written by S. Hatazawa



名称 妙慶寺(みょうけいじ)

種別 歴史 真田家

場所 由利本荘市 亀田


イメージ 真田幸村 戦国武将の娘 幻の国宝御田の薙刀



御田の方は、NHK大河ドラマで知られる戦国武将真田幸村の娘 直(なお)として1604年に生まれた。幸村が徳川家康と戦った大阪冬の陣では大阪城で父を助けた。大阪夏の陣の後、江戸(東京)大奥で人質として暮らし、その後京都で母と暮らした。そこで、直は、久保田藩(秋田藩)佐竹義宜の目にとまり秋田に下向、後に義宜の実弟宜家の妻となった。後に宜家が亀田藩主となり、直も亀田に居を構えることとなった。宜家との間に生まれた長男重隆も亀田藩主となっている。直は「真田の方」となるはずが、将軍徳川秀忠に遠慮し「真」の字をとって「御田の方」と呼ばれた。